Wednesday, August 28, 2013

A Work in Progress

My boys room has been a constant work in progress. Renting is so hard when trying to really make a place your own. I LOVE color and not being able to paint makes it so I have to fill the room with color in other ways. 
I made their bedding about a year and a half ago and used the fabrics as my 'pallet' to go from on colors. I LOVE strip quilts and I still love these blankets! I made them large enough to move to full beds if/when the time comes. (All the furniture is gel stained, you can find the FULL tutorial in our DIY tab) 
 I finally got it how I wanted but felt it needed just a little something so I added vinyl polka-dots to the walls. 
also made them each a subway art hanging of their names. I just got clearance art boxes from Hobby Lobby-they are actually pink and purple-and painted them and did vinyl for the subway art.     
I bought cheap curtains because we use a pull down black out shade so they were more for decoration. I them used fabric paint to put chevron navy strips on them. That was a fun project but a word to the wise-get LOTS of paint. I wish my strips all had one more coat of paint because they are a little see through on spots...
I made these canvases a few years ago when Brecken was little and had a beach shack theme room. It still 'sort-of' is...I used a vinyl cutting and put it on white canvas and then painted what was showing. I found similar ones shortly after I did these at Pottery Barn for $30 EACH!!! I did these for $4 each! 
I've always wanted a 'growth chart' that could move with us from house to house as we finish school. So I got a 5 ft 4x1, painted it white and put vinyl #'s 2-6 on it and hang it 1.5 ft high from the ground and put the lines so they start at 18 inches. Now we just measure them once a year and use a small fine point sharpie to mark it! 
Can you tell we LOVE books?! I feel like books are one of the best things to have in our home. Brecken learned to read just after he turned 4 and has read all of these at least 3 times each. (We have another book case in the hall outside their room too...I'm obsessed) I'm also in LOVE with our 'Rules to always being a gentlemen' it was a printable that I put on canvas using a groupon at a some online canvas place. 
I'm sure I'll continue to change and add to it, but for right now it's 'done'....

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...